2.03.2009

Book List

I have recently come to the realization that I am not very well-read in the classics. I have decided to create a list of books that I must read before I die. It is a little embarrassing that I haven't read any of these books. Some I have read excerpts from, or abridged editions, but not all the way through. So here is my list. If it's not on there, I have either read it already, or not thought of it. I haven't included any Shakespeare plays because I think I should read all of them.

The Brothers Karamazov- Fydor Dostoevsky
Chronicles of Narnia- C. S. Lewis
The Federalist- James Madison, Alexander Hamilton, John Jay
The Wealth of Nations- Adam Smith
Les Miserables- Victor Hugo
Great Expecations- Charles Dickens
A Tale of Two Cities- Charles Dickens
1984- George Orwell
The Odyssey- Homer
Anna Karenina- Leo Tolstoy
The Count of Monte Cristo- Alexandre Dumas
Don Quixote (in Spanish?)- Miguel de Cervantes
East of Eden- John Steinbeck
Fahrenheit 451- Ray Bradbury
A Farewell to Arms- Ernest Hemingway
The Lord of the Rings Series- J.R.R. Tolkein
The Great Gatsby- F. Scott Fitzgerald
Moby Dick- Herman Melville
Paradise Lost- John Milton
The Prince- Niccolo Machiavelli
The Three Muskateers- Alexandre Dumas
War and Peace- Leo Tolstoy
Das Kapital- Karl Marx
Leviathan- Thomas Hobbes
On Liberty- John Stuart Mills
Walden- Henry David Thoreau
Something by Charles Saunders Peirce (for my dad)

What others should I add to my list?

4 comments:

  1. Oh Jen, You left off some of the best GIRL books! Perhaps this is because you have read them: Gone with the Wind, Little Women, Jane Eyre and all of Jane Austen (excepting Emma... I HATED That one). I bet you have already read those, but if not I personally consider all of them MUST reads!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute blog, Jen! I LOVE the name cacho-de-pan and I'm excited to have you in the blogging world. I am totally linking you, sister! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I'm pretty sure The Brothers Karamazov is Michael's favorite book as well. I haven't read it either, but with this being everyone's favorite book I may just have to join you on this one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gone with the Wind comes to mind, as well as Wives and Daughters by Elizabeth Gaskell.

    ReplyDelete