11.23.2009

Monday Memories: Rivalry Week Edition

This week is one of my favorites of the year. The autumn air is crisp, and there is excitement throughout the state (except maybe in Logan). I'm not talking about Thanksgiving-- I'm talking about the week of the BYU-Utah football game. For this week's edition of Monday Memories, I'll share some of my favorite memories of the rivalry.

The first memory is walking on campus to find the statues shrink wrapped. I guess the powers that be at BYU don't want our sweet little family to turn into a family of Ute fans. (Some think they secretly are anyway since they have a child but no wedding rings.)



One of my all-time favorite games was LaVell Edwards's last game in the 2000 season. Brandon Doman led the most amazing drive downfield with about a minute left. What a great way to bid farewell to a wonderful coach. I still remember the excitement of that game.

More recently, the 2006 game was quite the classic. Unfortunately, I was on my mission, and missed the amazing Beck-to-Harline. I do, however, remember reading the play-by-play recap of the game that my mom wrote to me. It was almost as exciting. When I came home, I watched the replay plenty of times.

The last BYU-Utah game that we played at home is another that I won't forget. Yet again, it was a come-from-behind victory. It was 4th and 18 with the game all but over, when Max Hall threw a beautiful pass to a wide-open Austin Collie. After BYU won, it was my first field-rushing experience. I love this picture because there is some random guy and it looks like I'm pointing at his chin. I'm really trying to say that we're number one.



Here's to another game where a little "magic happens." Go Cougars!

No comments:

Post a Comment