1.22.2010

Book Bleg

I am having my students in my world history class read a book this semester. I am leaving the assignment wide open and the only qualifications are that it has to be set after the year 1500 and outside of the United States. So yeah, that's pretty wide open. I have made a list of books that are in our library that work, but I'm sure there are a lot more that I should include. I'm going to let them read books that qualify that aren't on the list, but I want a good solid list to start off with. Also, the librarian has more money and he said he can order books that we don't have. What books do you think should be included on the list?

3 comments:

  1. Are you looking for nonfiction books or fiction books or does it not matter? Do they need to be connected to sort of landmark historical events, or do they just have to be set outside of the United States?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Power of One
    The Good Earth
    Cry the Beloved Country
    The House of the Spirits
    In The Time of the Butterflies
    Kite Runner
    Anna Karenina
    Midnight's Children (Disclaimer, I'm the only person I know who liked this book)
    I'm trying to leave out books with too much sketchy stuff. I'll tell you if I think of more

    ReplyDelete
  3. How sad that I'm having a hard time thinking of books that are not set in the United States?

    'The Book Thief' for sure, and 'Night' is also wonderful. I read Night for the first time in high school and loved it. I'll try and think of some others that aren't set in the US. Also, I wouldn't have your high school kids read The Kite Runner... it has one scene that I wouldn't think a lot of parents would want the kids reading. A really good book about the middle east, but there's some not so great stuff in it. I'm trying to remember if 'Snowflower and the Secret Fan' has anything in it that would be inappropriate. Have you read that one?

    'Pride and Prejudice'! I also read that for the first time in high school and it's still one of my very favorites. Any Jane Austen book would be fabulous. Anne of Green Gables was set in Canada... I'll have to think of some more for you.

    You are so lucky to be teaching! So fun :)

    ReplyDelete