I decided last Sunday to make a blanket for my beau, Taylor, for Christmas. That night I did a little research, settled on a rag quilt, and designed the pattern. Then after school on Monday, I went to the fabric store, bought everything I needed, showed up at my mom's house, and announced that I was going to make a blanket in three days, since Taylor was leaving on Friday morning. If it had been any other project that intense that hadn't involved a sewing machine my mom would have tried to talk me out of it. However, since my mom has been dreaming of my being a seamstress extraordinaire since my childhood days, she jumped right in to help me. (Isn't she amazing?) There is no way in hades I could have finished it without her. Mom saves the day again!
On Monday we cut out all the squares, Tuesday we sewed each square together with the batting in the middle, and Wednesday we sewed it all together and clipped the seams so it would fray up. I also need to give a shout-out to my amazing cousin-in-law Janelle (who left the next day to move to Boston with my amazing cousin Scott) and my amazing sister-in-law Jenny (here visiting from Texas) who helped with all the snipping. It would have taken FOREVER by myself. I definitely miss having Jenny live close, and I'm surely going to miss having Scott and Janelle around— they're two of my favorites.
Here is my finished product, or at least half of it:
Taylor loved it. Isn't he a lucky boy to have such a domestic girl?
And since I got it in your head, here's the clip of the song. Enjoy.
One of my favorite movies and songs! And you're one of my favorite people! How come I never got a blanket? Stupid Taylor...it's a good thing he's so nice, or I might be jealous that he is benefiting from your mad domestic skills.
ReplyDeleteDefinitely some downright domesticity! :) The blanket turned out so cute, Jen! And I love that you had so much fun making it with such wonderful people :)
ReplyDeleteAlso, your dad and the Christmas tree is one of the cutest things I've ever heard. We can't wait to see it :)
Way to go Jen! I love the quilt and I am sure Taylor will get good use out of it. You are a domestic diva.
ReplyDeleteI am blown away with your downright domesticity! Lucky Taylor! PS...is that Robertson plaid in the quilt? :)
ReplyDelete