7.21.2011

Bleggity-Bleg

Like any good school teacher, I am trying to get ahead for next year. One of the things that I would like to do is produce a readings packet that I can give to my government students to take home. I already use several readings, but it would be nice to have them together in one place.

So my bleg: what readings should I use for my students to enhance their learning of government concepts? The units I teach are as follows:

Foundations of Government
The Constitution
The Bill of Rights
State and Local Governments
Political Parties/Citizenship
Economics
Foreign Policy

Any ideas? I want them to be generally enjoyable and interesting. They can include blog posts, news stories, historical texts, and other readings.

P.S. For those of you who haven't heard the term "bleg", here you go.

2 comments:

  1. In response to your bleg (I can always count on you for a new word Jen) I will do some digging through my government readings box and let you know some of those I found most enlightening. Too bad I can't just remember them of the top of my head.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So I found a few of my MPA syllabi and have some reading recommendations for readings:

    Max Weber "Bureaucracy"
    Woodrow Wilson "The study of administration"
    Michael Lipsky "Street-level bureaucracy"
    Charles E. Lindblom "The science of muddling through"
    Samuel Krislov "Representative bureaucracy"
    Frank J. Goodnow "Politics and administration"

    These are all articles or chapters from books.
    I would also recommend sections from the 9/11 commission report to show multiple levels of government in action. The classics are also good like the Federalist papers, Wealth of Nations, etc. I'll let you know what I find tomorrow in our office.

    ReplyDelete