7.02.2010

Cool

If you treat an individual as he is, he will stay as he is. But if you treat him as if he were what he could be and ought to be, he will become what he ought to be.  
-Goethe
 I wrote this quote in the margin of my Book of Mormon (next to 1 Nephi 16:23, if you want to see the connection) when I was on my mission. It really changed my perspective on the people that I met and interacted with as a missionary, and has remained an important principle to apply in my life.

I had a fantastic conversation this evening with my brother, sister-in-law and dad. We talked about how everybody has gifts and talents (or as Jenny put it, "we're all cool"). It is so important for us to help other people recognize their own talents so that they can magnify them. I really want to be someone who helps people fulfill their potential. Our conversation ended with Jenny making us raise our fists in the air and repeat, "We are cool." I like Jenny. She's so cool.

There are so many people in my life that have helped me live up to my potential. When I thought that I was a bad writer because I struggled to meet page requirements, my AP English teacher told me that I had a gift for being concise (maybe not so much anymore). When I felt inadequate as a missionary, my dear mission president, knowing full well of the my weaknesses, put his arm around me and told me that he thought I was a great missionary. My parents have shown their confidence in me by giving me space to make my own decisions. I am blessed to have so many people in my life who have given me confidence.

Who are the people in your lives that help you see your potential? How do they do it?

1 comment:

  1. That is so funny Jen, I found the exact same quote on my mission (I have it written on a piece of paper in my Book of Mormon) and I consider that one of the changing moments of my mission. I would often share it with my missionaries in the MTC. I guess we really are related, which makes you pretty cool :)

    ReplyDelete